Data compiled and analyzed for this project include:
USDA Census of Agriculture
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). (1997, 2002, 2007, 2012). National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) Survey Data. Retrieved from quickstats.nass.usda.gov
Ownership Size data-collected at the County level
Small: <500 acres
Medium 500-2,000 acres
Large 2,000+ acres
|By Count||Number of farms|
Texas Department of State Health Services
Texas Department of State Health Services. (1997, 2002, 2007, 2012). Census Population and Intercensal Estimates Data. Retrieved from: www.dshs.state.tx.us/chs/popdat
Population Data-collected at the County level
Population values—population values are from the census for census years (every 10 years) and estimated for years between census years
Regions of Interest
- I-35 Corridor: counties surrounding Interstate 35 from San Antonio to Austin
- Coastal: all counties with Gulf of Mexico coastline
- Hill Country: counties designated as part of the hill country by Hill Country Alliance
- DFW Metroplex: Tarrant/Dallas counties and adjacent counties
- Greater Houston: Harris county and adjacent counties
- Rio Grande Valley: Hidalgo and Cameron County
Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. (1997, 2002, 2007, 2012). Property Tax/Value Data. Location: Property Tax Assistance Division.
Working Lands Data-collected at the ISD (independent school district) level
|Comptroller Categories||Our Categories*|
|Grazing Lands||Working Lands|
Timber in Transition
|Wildlife Management||Wildlife Management|
* Comptroller categories were grouped to reduce fluctuation between comptroller-defined classifications
Market and Productivity Value Data-collected at the ISD (independent school district) level
Market value-the value of the land
Production value-the value of the agricultural commodities produced by the land
- Comptroller data were statistically adjusted to remove outliers.
- Values for ISDs that no longer exist due to a consolidation were retroactively assigned to the new ISD.
- County level land use and land value metrics are made up of an aggregation of all independent school districts whose center points fall within the selected county boundary. Because of this, it is likely that total land use area will exceed the actual are of the county itself.